You have probably already found yourself in an unpleasant situation where you had to throw away your favourite shirt because of an ink stain, or your favourite pair of shoes that started hurting your feet unexpectedly. You must know that it’s possible to save all your clothes even the ones that seem non-recoverable. Here are ingenious ideas to salvage your favourite items of clothing and be able to wear them again and again.
1. Remove sweat stains on your clothes
A mix of lemon juice and water can help remove sweat stains on your clothes and avoid discoloration.
2. Stop losing your socks when you wash and dry them
You will never again lose another sock in the wash if you place them in a washable bag made for underwear.
3. Here is a trick to get a loose drawstring back in your hood
Use a straw to get your drawstring back in your hood. It really works!
4. Retrieve your drawstring stuck in your hood with this trick
You can also use a safety pin to retrieve your drawstring stuck in your hood.
5. Remove lint from your clothes
A simple razor can be used to remove lint from your clothes.
6. Remove stains on your woolens with ammonia
If you stain a wool sweater, mix 1 part glycerin with 6 parts water. Add some ammonia to the mixture and then, with a cloth, gently dab your stain.
7. Keep dark clothes from fading
Vinegar can help avoid your dark clothes of fading. Add half a cup of vinegar when you do a dark wash.
8. Remove gum from your clothes
Sticky substances like gum can easily be removed from clothing if you freeze your clothes and then scrape off the gum.
9. Remove a coffee stain with a egg yolk
- Take an egg yolk and mix it with lukewarm water.
- Take a cotton ball and dip it in the mixture.
- Dab the coffee stain with the cotton ball and wait a few minutes.
10. Remove a grease stain
Baby powder (talcum powder) is a great way of removing grease stains from clothing. Sprinkle some on your stain and the powder will absorb the grease.
11. Here is how to remove an ink stain from your clothes
Removing an ink stain from your clothes can be done by applying hand sanitizer on the stain. Leave it there for 10 minutes.
12. Salvage your shoes that have holes in them
Pieces from a bicycle repair kit can help seal a hole in your rubber sole.
13. Say goodbye to grass stains
Grass stains can easy be eliminated by using a mix of liquid soap and hydrogen peroxide. Mix one tablespoon of soap with two tablespoons hydrogen peroxide. Then, apply this mixture on the stain, leave it on for 10 minutes and then rinse.
14. Get rid of bad odors in your shoes
Tea bags can help get rid of unpleasant odors inside your shoes. Leave the tea bags inside your shoes for a few hours.
15. Remove makeup stains from your clothes
Shaving cream is a great way of eliminating makeup stains on clothes. Put some on your stain, rub, then rinse!
16. Salvage your shrunken shirt
- Pour lukewarm water in a very large bowl and add 2 tablespoons conditioner.
- Place your shirt in the bowl and wait 30 minutes.
- Wringer it and roll it in a towel.
- Dry it flat.
- Your shirt should be back to its normal size.
17. Fix a stuck zipper
You can use a wax crayon to fix a zipper stuck on your vest. All you need to do is rub the crayon on your zipper’s teeth and it will be fixed.
- Astuces de Grand-Mère
- Bright Side
- Reader’s Digest