Sold for the first time in 1946, the microwave is now, 70 years later, one of the most used kitchen appliance of all times. It allows you to quickly heat up food and it even allows you to cook certain foods like eggs for example. Apart from cooking, your microwave can do other incredible things! Here are the best ways to use a microwave in your every day life.
14. Clean a mess in your microwave
Here is how to clean a microwave without any chemical products:
- Take a lemon.
- Cut it in half.
- Fill a bowl with water and add lemon juice.
- Add the squeezed lemon to the bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it up for 5 minutes.
- The water will boil with the lemon and this will help clean your microwave.
13. Extract more juice from your lemons
You often need lemon juice for recipes but it can be difficult to extract all the juice from the fruit without wasting it. To help you extract all the juice, put your lemon in the microwave for 20 seconds. Extract the juice while it’s still warm.
12. Cut an onion without any tears
When cutting an onion, chemical irritants called syn-propanethial-S-oxide come out and that’s what makes you cry. Thankfully, your microwave can fix this. All you have to do it cut the ends of your onion and then put your onion in the microwave for 30 seconds.
11. Fulfill your bacon craving
If you have no time to cook but you want to make some bacon quickly, here is how to do it:
- Take a plate and a bowl. Turn the bowl upside down on your plate.
- Place as many bacon strips as you like on the top of the bowl.
- Put it in the microwave for about 1 minute per strip (2 minutes for 2 strips).
- Before turning the microwave on, add a paper towel on the bacon so it doesn’t dirty your microwave.
- The grease will trickle down the bowl onto the plate.
- Let cool then eat.
10. Disinfect your sponges
You use sponges to clean and disinfect your home, but what cleans your sponges? They are constantly in contact with bacteria and grime that get trapped, which makes it a even more contaminated tool than your toilet bowl. This is why it’s important to clean your sponges. By putting them in the microwave, they will become clean again and you won’t have to throw them in the garbage! Soak them in white vinegar or lemon juice and put them in the microwave for a minute. This acidic ingrediants associated with heat will make it easier to kill all the pathogen bacteria hiding in your sponges.
9. Enjoy some corn on the cob
- Shuck your corn and wrap it in a humid paper towel.
- Put it in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Take it out of the microwave with some tongs.
- In less than 5 minutes you have a great snack. Season it the way you like it and enjoy!
8. Remove stamps effortlessly
Did you know a microwave could help you with that? All you need to do is add a bit of water on the stamp to make it humid and then put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. You can then easily remove the stamp without any rips.
7. Avoid getting salmonella
Your cutting board is constantly in contact with raw meat. Here is how to avoid catching salmonella:
- Wet your cutting board.
- Add a layer of dishwashing soap.
- Place it in the microwave for a minute.
- Your cutting board is now sterilized.
6. Extend the life expectancy of your mascara
Unfortunately, mascara dries very rapidly, which creates big clumps when you apply it on your lashes. Avoiding this and make your mascara last longer.
Place your mascara in a glass of water, then put it in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. This will make it good as new again.
5. Dye some clothes
If you have some old clothes that you like a lot, it is possible to give them a second life with a bit of dye and a microwave! Place your item of clothing in a container with water and the colour of dye of your choice. Cover the container and put it in the micrwave for 4 minutes on low. Wait a few minutes then admire your new creation!
4. Make your donuts fresh again
All sweet tooths will appreciate this hack. If you have 2 day old donuts, use this trick to make them soft again. Heat them up in the microwave for 10-12 seconds.
3. Sterilize your glass jars
If you want to preserve sauces or vegetables, it is always important to sterilize your jars beforehand to eliminate any bacteria buildup. You can boil them in hot water for a few minutes, but you can also use a microwave which will take less time. Take your jars and add a bit of water in them. Heat the jars in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes so the water boils. Your jars are now ready.
2. Make your own microwavable heating pad
If you suffer from muscle pain and inflammation, it is recommended to use heating pads. If you don’t have your own heating pad at home, it is possible to make your own very easily. Use an old sock and fill it with dried lentils. Make a knot and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes. Make sure the sock is not too hot so not to burn your ski, place it on the area of your body that is aching until it doesn’t produce any heat anymore.
1. Make chips
Feel like a snack?
- Take some potatoes.
- Finely slice the potatoes. Approximately 1/8 of an inch.
- Put a few of the slices on a plate.
- Cook them in the microwave for 3 minutes. Turn them before cooking them another 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them.
- Season them and enjoy!